05 September 2007

Googely Eyes

Today I was buying some banana milk (which is milk that tastes like a banana and not that is squeezed from a banana) because my lunches here are usually pretty spicy, so I like to come prepared. My favorite lunch spot only serves water and loads almost all of the dishes down with a red pepper sauce, which isn't weird, just Korean. Anyhow, my banana milk rang up at 500 won, a price that sounds quite high, but isn't, and I reached into my pocket for my change. Mixed in with my coins and staring up from my palm were several large googely eyes, the kind where black round pupils clatter around inside clear plastic bubbles when shaken. Yes, I carry googely eyes in my pocket. I am a kindergarten teacher. This is my life.

I've put myself on a television fast, indefinitely. It's lead me to explore some interesting things online, like a website that offers free public domain audiobooks (I've been listening to Mansfield Park) and NPR's show 'All Songs Considered.' There's a lot of good stuff out there. I have to admit, though, that my television detox has been painful. I find that curiosity about 'So You Think You Can Dance' and 'America's Next Top Model' hovers constantly at the back of my awareness. I feel pretty safe, though. I buried my television under a tabletop and some kitchen appliances, out of reach of my cable hook-up. You know what they say: Theater is life. Cinema is art. Television is furniture.

Anyhow, that's really it for now; just wanted to let y'all know that I'm still here. I'll try to write more, and soon.

Denice (the nice one)

No comments: